Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Artichoke-Squash Turkey Potpie

It is quickly nearing November, and the weather is becoming increasingly cool and dreary. I am not excited about the cloudy days, nor the dark mornings, but I AM excited to whip out my fall recipes and begin cooking my best comfort foods! I think fall food are my favorite. Smooth and creamy butternut squash soup, decadent pumpkin, chocolate chip muffins, sweet cranberry-pear crisp, thick savory stews....ahhh, all of these and more are coming soon! But last night I made my very favorite pot pie. It is scrumptious, but the best part about it is that it is super easy!! I don't have a picture, but here is the recipe and directions. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Note: There is some prep work for this recipe. It calls for cooked turkey (or chicken if you prefer). The night before, I made a turkey breast in my slow cooker. You can cook your meat however you wish, but I will post my recipe soon because it worked very well and produced turkey for us to eat off of for awhile!

Artichoke-Squash Turkey Potpie
Adapted from Stay for Supper
Dough:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter
3-4 TBS water

Filling:
1 small onion, chopped
3 TBS butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon (or 1 tsp fresh tarragon if available)
2 cups cooked turkey (or chicken if preferred)
2 small squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (I used one zucchini and one yellow squash)
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained

Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl stir together the 2/3 cup flour, cornmeal, and salt. Cut in the 1/4 cup butter till pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat with remaining water till all is moistened. Form dough into a ball.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x6-inch rectagle; cut into eight 12x3/4-inch strips. Cover and set aside.

In a large saucepan cook onion in the 3 tablespoons butter till tender but not brown. Stir in the 1/3 cup flour, bouillon granules, tarragon, and pepper. Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Stir in turkey or chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, and artichoke hearts. Return to boiling, stirring frequently.

Transfer turkey mixture to a 9x9-inch baking dish. Immediately place 4 of the pastry strips, evenly spaced, across the turkey mixture. Place the remaining 4 strips the opposite way to form a lattice pattern. Trim off edges of pastry. Bake, uncovered, in a 450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or till pastry is golden brown.

Serves: 4-5




No comments:

Post a Comment